Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Surviving in Post-Katrina Gulfport

Our church finally got our cable back, so I'm on the fast track to the "new normal." We still don't have telephone service and may not get it back until mid- to late November. Can you believe it!?! So if you must call me, please try my cell phone. If you don't know it, Chelle has it, Dad has it, and I think Linette may have it. I won't give it out here for obvious reasons.

A friend from Jacksonville, FL called today and offered to take my kids to DisneyWorld later this fall, possibly after Thanksgiving. That was mighty sweet of them.

Yesterday evening, there was a big "manufactured home" that was brought onto our property. For those of you who don't know, some friends of ours, the Varners, lost their home from flooding in Bayou View where they have lived for years (and never flooded). They will be living temporarily on our property until they get their house rebuilt. It was kind of a shock to see the trailer this morning when I looked out the kitchen window. It will take some getting used to.

The other day, Anna Marie and I went to Wal-Mart at 5:30 in the evening. It was very crowded for Monday evening. We got in line to check out at 6:15 and didn't leave the store until close to 7:00. So this week, for my weekly Wal-Mart visit, we went to the Wal-Mart in Wiggins. We got there at 4:00 in the afternoon. It wasn't too crowded until time to check out. We waited in line for an hour! Next week, I will attempt an early run to Wal-Mart and see how that goes.

Hey, Travis and Christy, how sure are they that it will be a girl? I couldn't tell you the number of times friends have told me that they were having a girl, and they got the surprise of their life when the baby was born. I've even heard of daddys having to go home and repaint the nursery before the baby was brought home. That would be a bummer.

Last Sunday, we had G-Force for our kids at church for the first time since the storm. We had a small crowd, as expected. I had to stay in the nursery during worship because we had so many little ones! I had to split my one class into two classes. People are starting to be able to come home. I'm going to try finding 5 workers for this Sunday. Pray for me. I really don't want to use the same people over and over.

Sara, if Harley can get online where he is deployed, we can add him to our group. I made you an administrator, so you can add him from your computer. Linette, I'm working on sending your invitation out after I finish this post.

I guess that is all for now. It is hard, I know, for you guys to understand what it is like to live in a disaster area. It is just one of those things that you just have to see to believe. We are slowly getting our yard back in shape. We have our shingles. Now we have to find a roofer. That will happen sometime after the middle of Oct. Our insurance guy is coming Oct. 12. We won't do anything until then. Vince had to re-tarp part of the roof yesterday.

Love you all,

No comments: